- Program Type: Education Savings Account Program, Means Tested
The law requires that the program begins no later than the 2021-22 school year. However, it is expected to begin in 2020-21.
- Student Eligibility
- Family income cannot exceed 200% of eligibility for the federal Free Lunch Program($66,950 for a family of 4).
- Students in grades 3-11 must take the TN Ready English and Math assessments. Only students in the ESA will have to take TN Ready – other children at the independent schools will not be required to participate in TN Ready.
- Parent Requirements
- Parents must show ID and proof of income using the same application materials as required for federal direct certification programs like SNAP and TANF.
- Scholarship Cap
- - An average of $7,300 per child, per year
- Enrollment Cap
- - There will be 5,000 ESAs available in Year 1. The cap will increase by 2,500 per year until a max of 15,000. - If the caps are reached in a given year, priority will be given to children from the lowest-income families and those zoned for the lowest performing schools.